Friday, January 7, 2011

The Three Sisters, Katoomba, NSW, AU


 The Three Sisters are located right outside Katoomba. These three rock structures are located in the middle of mountainous land of New South Wales. When I think of Australia I think of beaches and kangaroos. I don't think of mountainous land like you would see out in the mid-west. This location is a major tourist spot and has a huge viewing area. Tourist or not, it was amazing. The view was unreal. If it weren't for the floating clouds moving across the sky and casting shadows across the mountains, I would have thought it was a painting.

Right next to the viewing area is a hiking area where you can actually walk over to where the Three Sisters are located. The stairs leading you to the Three Sisters and down the mountain are called the "Giant Stairway" and let me tell you, the name does not mislead. These are the steapest, scariest steps I've ever walked. Once false step and you would go tumbling down the mountain. I held the railing for dear life as I scaled down towards the walking bridge that led to the Three Sister lookout.

Once I reached the walking bridge I was absolutely terrified as heights are one of my worst fears. I was sure that the bridge would either fall apart or a huge gust of wind would sweep across and blow me off. Although you cannot see it in this picture, the drop off under this bridge must be at least 1,000 feet. Even when I made it to the small viewing area I could not let go of whatever solid, sturdy structure I could find. 

No comments:

Post a Comment