Saturday, January 8, 2011

Biking Below Zero

My heart and my head occassionally go in two different directions. The other day my heart was saying "let's go on a fun road bike, you haven't been out in a while, it would feel so good." My head was saying, "Hey crazy girl, it's 35 degrees out." Five layers of clothing I was driving up to Shawan road to go on a winter adventure on the bike.
It's amazing how much beauty you pass behind the wheel of a car and how aware of it you become on a bike. The different bike routes off of Shawan road are really wonderful to bike. It is a nice blend of rolling hills and the occasional flats. While I enjoy riding around the beach, the flat rides can often become monotonous while the rolling hills add a little more adventure. I would be willing to wager that more than half of Baltimore has no idea we have such beautiful farm land only a few minutes away from town.

The winter ride was tough. The cold air added an entirely new dimension to the biking challenge. When you are on a flat or climbing a hill you feel good, nice and toasty. When you are going downhill you feel like you are repeatedly getting hit in the face with snowballs. The ride would have been a lot more pleasant if I had a cover over my face. It's a funny feeling to not feel relieved by a downhill. I've never breaked so much coming down to cut down on the wind on my face.
I felt so happy at the end of the ride that I made it through. It felt great to be back on the bike and although the cold zapped about 100% of our energy, we had a great time and saw the most beautiful sunset. 

No comments:

Post a Comment